Dr. Hawkins grew up in South Carolina and graduated from West Florence high School, having lettered in tennis for three years. He attended Furman University in Greenville, SC, and graduated cum laude with a BS degree in Biology. Medical training was done at the Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine in Charleston, where he was very active in the leadership for Medical Campus Outreach and the Christian Medical and Dental Society. Dr. Hawkins was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society in his junior year, and he graduated in the top 5% of his class. After completing his internship in medicine at MUSC, he completed his surgical residency in Ophthalmology at the University of Oklahoma.
Following this, Dr. Hawkins served a commitment in the U.S. Air Force. Prior to his association with Davidson Eye Associates, he was chief of Ophthalmology and Refractive Surgery at Keesler Medical Center. Interests include refractive surgery, oculoplastics, cataract and glaucoma management and surgery.
- American Board of Ophthalmology – Diplomat
- American Academy of Ophthalmology – Fellow
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons – Member
- Past Chief of Ophthalmology and Refractive Surgery at Keesler Air Force Base.
- Recipient of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society.
- Three publications in Major ophthalmology journals on glaucoma and refractive surgery.
- Recipient of Duke Futures/Furman Advantage Research Scholarship Grant.
- Christian ministry
- collecting fountain pens
- Family: Cathy (wife) – Children: Anna, Nathan, Emily, Calvin, Whitfield, Sarah, Bethany, and Knox
- Member – Meadowview Reformed Presbyterian Church